1. Do a face mask or a hair mask! A face mask and nose strip are my go to self care activity every single time. They make my skin feel so soft and radiant! I use the Biore nose strips and Glossier Mega Greens Galaxy Pack. This mask cleans your skin from the inside out. The only down side is for about 20 minutes after I use this mask, my face gets very red- but still so worth it!
2. Make a cup of your favorite tea. Growing up, and still today, tea was my mom’s answer for everything. Sick? Tea. Sad? Tea. Celebrating? Tea. Stubbed your toe? Tea! Not only is the smell of almost any tea so soothing and delicious, but the warmth from the tea eases your body into relaxation. My personal favorite? Mango Chamomile from Bigelow Tea.
3. Light some candles! Shut the lights, get a cozy blanket and pillow, and light a couple of candles. Fill your safe space with your favorite scents and just relax. I get all of my candles from TJMaxx, they are so affordable, fit any aesthetic, and there is any scent you could possibly want!
4. Put on some music! When I’m having a self care day, I usually listen to records on my record player. There’s something about it that comforts me and I can’t quite explain it. As of recently I’ve been playing the Plastic Beach vinyl by the Gorillaz.
5. Cook your favorite food! If you’re not the most inclined in the kitchen, ask your mom or another relative for a family recipe that brings you comfort. Maybe it’s a pot of chicken soup, or fresh meatloaf, maybe even as simple as a grilled cheese. No matter what it is for you, even if its just a bowl of Cheerios, there is no doubt that food brings comfort to almost anyone.
6. Buy a plant! My best friend worked at a plant store for years and has been obsessed with plants forever, but I just never really understood the appeal. For one thing, I have terrible allergies and I don’t know what would trigger them or not, and I always managed to kill any plant I had. But recently I finally started buying and taking actual care of my plants and honestly, I think I get it now. They made my home so much more homey and it’s really meditative to take proper care of them. Not too mention most plants help purify the air in your home!!
7. Change your sheets and make your bed! I think we can all agree that there is no better feeling than climbing into a nicely made bed with fresh sheets at the end of a long day. Try to make this something you do for yourself often!